X-Wing Battle Reports


By now I'd assume most (tabletop) gamers have heard of the X-Wing miniatures game by Fantasy Flight Games. I recently played it with a friend and took a couple of pictures with the intention of doing a BatRep on it. Turns out, this is way harder than we thought.


First of all - I'm not a new convert, I've had my starter box and several fighters for at least 1.5 years. But with my gaming time being severly limited, I tend to not get that many games in - at all. That's why we actually decided to play - to use our minis again and have some great fun.

Setup
What's basically as important as the visuals with Star Wars? The one thing, everyone remembers beside looks and story? It's the music. The Star Wars score is so recognizable that it would be a shame not to use it while playing X-Wing. So we got some of our favourite space battle tracks playing in the background:

  1. Main title (because you can't possibly not have it on here)
  2. Episode IV: The Battle of Yavin
  3. Episode V: The Asteroid Field
  4. Episode VI: The Battle of Endor III
The Game
We went for 100 points per side, me playing the rebels, my friend going for the Imperium. My little squadron consisted of 3 X-Wings and 1 A-Wing, while he chose 3 Tie Fighters and 2 Interceptors. Since X-Wing is pretty easy to set up, we placed some asteroids in the center of our table and went for each other's throats.




And here is, where the problem comes in: X-Wing is fast-paced, with lots of actions and maneuvers. Although we took a boatload of pictures, there's no way I can tell you what happened in the 2 hours we played. 






























What I do remember is the epic finale, when I was down to Wedge Antilles in his battered X-
Wing, trying to evade the last TIE Fighter and Interceptor and then ended up crashing into an asteroid. That was...sad. 




So, do you have any recommendations how to do BatReps for X-Wing? Maybe have musical recommendation for setting the scene? Just let me know in the comments below. 


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous29 July, 2015

    I'm so new I'll be ordering the starter set soon.
    Once I've got it I plan to do a battle report video and I'll be sure to give you a link. I've an idea on how to do it, but it's better to show than explain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool, please send me that link. I'd be very interested in how you intend to do a video BatRep. And thank you for commenting, mate! :)

      Delete
  2. What mat is that? It looks lovely! X-wing is one of my fav games,.especially when you play with the earlier waves. Though I do love the variety the later waves add, it gets a bit crazier in terms of stuff to keep track of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check what mat it is and will get back to you.

      I definitely prefer earlier waves - more iconic look, less designs that don't feel all that star warsy to me. Most ships from the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter games from the 90s are good as well, I played the hell outta those back then. :)

      But K-Wings, the Decimator and all that? I don't know, not my kinda thing. I'm still waiting for the Assault Gunboat, though, those were pretty nice.

      Delete